Over the past two plus decades a group of past students of the Sandy Point High School has made meaningful annual contributions in support of the students, staff, and teachers of schools in Sandy Point. The primary annual support has been cash scholarship awards to students of the Sandy Point High School, and science and computer equipment to the Sandy Point High School.
The Sandy Point Primary School has been the beneficiary of some of these awards. As of 2012, SPBS expanded the cash scholarship to include the valedictorian from the Newton Ground and St Paul’s primary schools, bringing the total to three (3) primary schools valedictorian, attending the CEMSS, each receiving a $300 scholarship.
We became a 501 (c) 3, non-profit US corporation in 2007. The Sandy Point Benevolent Society, Inc. is registered in the State of New York with corporate mailing address at 231-10 Linden Blvd., Jamaica, NY 11411. Federal Tax deductible contributions may be sent to this address.
The Sandy Point Benevolent Society hosts a variety of special events during the year, some of which help to raise money for the society. Every year in September, several hundred people attend our Annual Awards Dinner and Ball. In April we host our Easter Taste of the Caribbean Breakfast and annually we conduct a raffle.
Our scholarship pool has grown over the years.
We have gone from three (3) scholarships of US$300 each to the Valedictorian from each of the feeder schools (SPBS Principal's Awardees) to the CEMSS to:
- a SPBS scholarship of US$1000 to a needy graduate of CEMSS studying any where in the world
- a scholarship of US$400 to each of the SPBS Principal's Awardees upon graduating from CEMSS
- another US$500 to each of those same SPBS Principal's Awardees upon graduation from the Clarence F. Bryant College
- another SPBS scholarship of US$1000 to each of the to SPBS Principal's Awardees upon attending a college or University to obtain an undergraduate degree
- The Sir Hugh and Lady Claudette Rawlings Graduate Scholardship of US$2000 to any graduate of CEMSS pursuing graduate studies
- The Ridley Guishard Memorial Scholarship to two (2) socio-economically challenged natives of Sandy Point and graduates of CEMSS pursuing an undergraduate or higher degreee, each valued at US$2500 and
- Three (3) Warner's Excellence of Education Scholarships (WEE Scholarships) each valued at US$500 to two (2) students from CEMSS with the best CXC results and one (1) from Verchilds High School with the best CXC results.
Anyone can donate to our Scholarship Fund by clicking the DONATE button and specifying SCHOLARSHIP FUND.
We are aware that the cost of Education is expensive but we think Ignorance is still more expensive, so we are trying to help educate of youth so we dont find out how much more expensive Ignorance can be.
We are always looking to recruit new members. Just click on one of the membership button and follow the instructions. To become a member you would have had to attend the SPHS/CEMSS, or be the spouse of someone who attended the CEMSS/SPHS or share our values and want to be a part of SPBS.
Over the years of our existence, we have made substantial donations to SPHS/CEMSS, but in 2015 we made a donation of a state of the art intercom to the tune of over twenty thousand dollars (US$20,000). In 2016 we are donating a 26-piece Steel Pan orchestra valued at some twenty six thousand dollars (US$26,000).
You can help to support our cause by attending any of our functions or by making a donation by clicking on the donation button on the opening page of the website and following the instructions.